Skip to main content
Church Planting Mistakes
- Fastracking the wrong people into leadership. Make sure that when you get commitments, they know specifically what you’re asking them to commit themselves too.
- Utilizing Denominational organization / structure and trying to make it fit a church it was never designed for. Most denominational systems get in the way of planting successfully.
- Not weeding out Vision adjusters instead of trying to “adjust” the vision of the complainers. Don’t be afraid to show people the door.
- Not taking membership seriously enough and letting anyone join. Set high membership standards.
- Not praying smart or enough.
- Going public too soon. Wait till you’re sure you can have 150-200 your first Sunday.
- Getting away from evangelism before one realizes it. You should never lose this focus.
- Listening to the spiritual people who said “don’t worry about numbers…just be faithful.” In the beginning numbers are important.
- Not focusing time, energy, resources on “assimilation” and discipleship. The deeper you take the core the faster the church will grow in time.
- Waiting too long to talk about money. talk about it upfront from the beginning. Expect launch team to tithe.
- Not taking spiritual warfare seriously.